1. Maximize your flexibility
Choose a mixer that gives you the highest possible flexibility, so you can use it for a wide range of products, recipes and volumes. Key flexibility-enhancing features to look out for:
- Variable volumes: the ability to switch from batch to semi-continuous or continuous production as your volumes grow, without major new investment.
- Scalability: the ability to obtain consistent quality regardless of production volume
- Product versatility: the ability to produce a wide range of products including full-, high- or low-fat, more or less viscous, with or without particles.
- Control: the ability to predict and control product quality parameters, such as oil droplet size and distribution.
2. Keep an eye on the bottom line
To maximize your bottom line in a business where competition is fierce and margins slim, every kilowatt of energy, every minute of production and every gram of ingredients matters. It makes sense to look for a mixing solution that gives you a low total cost of ownership per kilo produced. Look for a mixer that:
- Minimizes mixing time without jeopardizing product quality e.g. over-shearing your mayonnaise
- Lowers your energy consumption
- Optimizes the utilization of ingredients such as thickeners and stabilisers by combining a dynamic shear system with a controlled mixing method.
3. Choose the right partner
As a producer of cold emulsion products, it’s wise to team up with a solution provider rather than merely an equipment supplier. Look for a partner that has a detailed understanding of the challenges and complexities you face. One that:
- Offers the full line solution you need, with all the parts working together optimally, from ingredients handling to filling
- Can customize your mixer to include multiple functionalities such as vacuum, heating, cooling, cutting, grinding, gentle blending etc.
- Can predict accurate mixing times and droplet size based on your quality targets, and help you reduce batch times.
4. Don’t forget food safety
The safety of the food you produce is constantly in focus, as you strive to protect your consumers and your brand reputation. You can maintain focus and minimize the risks by choosing a supplier that:
- Has a proven record on food safety
- Offers hygienic mixer design (preferably EHEDG approved)
- Uses only food-grade materials in its equipment (EFSA and FDA approved)
- Regularly audits component suppliers for compliance
- Supplies mixers with an effective built-in cleaning system (CIP) for all product contact areas